Saturday, December 16, 2006

Christmas is around the corner!


In addition to Diwali and other Hindu holidays, my mother somehow decided to include Christmas among our annual festivities while my sister and I were growing up. My mother had lived her formative years in Goa and to her celebrating Christmas meant reliving some of her happy memories rather than a religious festivity. She would bake an enormous cake and we even had a tree sometimes (not a real one but a plastic one). We would make cards under our mother's supervision and even hung stockings above our beds. My father was a willing participant as long there was a cake waiting at the end of all the gift-wrapping.

We spent quite a few Christmas vacations in Goa partying on one of those fun cruises. What I remember most is that every year on Christmas our parents would wrap our gifts in bright red and green paper. Whenever Christmas is around the corner I remember those festive moments and the bright colors it brought.

Today I am miles away from home, its the start of winter in Ohio and everything is gray. The trees have been stripped off their leaves. But among the bramble when I spotted this tiny bough of green and red the spirit of Christmas came back to me. Taking the picture was quite an experience since I had to try to eliminate quite a lot f the drying thrush around the pretty little piece of glowing foliage and the red berries. It was fun as always.

Happy Holidays!

No comments: