Thursday, March 08, 2007

Traffic Signal; A Personal Review


Traffic Signal; A Personal Review

Whenever I review a movie, I usually comment on how it influenced or failed to influence my own thinking and find it useful to put out a disclaimer that my views and opinions will not always agree with everybody else’s. Nonetheless I do hope that Bombay-ites read this review and at least relate to some of my views. I watched Traffic Signal last night and when the movie began I marveled at the cinematography and at some of the actors. I hope Kareena Kapoor very intently watched and took notes on Konkona Sen’s portrayal of Noori, the street-side prostitute. Ms.Sen has successfully demonstrated that walking ungracefully with a cheap sari and a dire lipstick shade is not an adequate illustration of a prostitute (now if you belong to the Kapoor family minimal efforts at acting are widely appreciated. Hint: Chameli).

Thirty minutes into the movie I was still rooting for the dialogue and the realistic portrayal. I nervously glanced at the watch after two hours of what seemed like a very in-depth coverage of the lives of people who make their living by selling goods and by begging at traffic signals. As a young girl living in Bombay I was involved in some social work. So unconsciously I was looking for some answers in the movie and was hoping to find them during the course of the story. What I didn’t understand after having watched the movie is why do some of the people at the traffic signal resort to begging or prostitution in spite of the several NGOs in Bombay that are striving to provide educational, vocational and even rehabilitation services for free.

Now I am no longer in India and my opinions are very unceremoniously dismissed as the ranting of a snobbish NRI. I have moved away from any active social work but as a Bombay citizen, watching this movie brings back the frustration I felt then at failing to understand why it is that we should feel sympathy or even empathy for people who choose to beg in spite of being given a functioning mind, limbs and good health that if put to use can do so much more. I have more sympathy for the coolies, the relentless middle class and the labor working class whose tenacious hard work has made Bombay the commercial capital.

This movie is enlightening only for those who have never looked outside their window and lamented the dearth of the city ironically juxtaposed against a backdrop of glitzy buildings and shiny cars. Being born and raised in Bombay I have not met a single person who has failed to notice that there are several hearty, healthy and able individuals who beg for no apparent reason and this movie did very little to explore why. The movie lacks culmination and does not have a story that hasn't been told before. The context might be different but corruption, bhai-giri, poverty, prostitution, meaningless assassinations of honest government officials are all ultimately plots we are familiar with. We have always known that these exist, haven't we? Repeated portrayal of these abysmal realities by filmmakers, no matter how authentic, have brought them critical acclaim but bring their viewers a sense of hopelessness when it comes to the condition their city is in. Politicians, police, lawyers even publics service workers have all let us down and the law breakers and law makers have joined hands in Bombay and we know it. The film producers might not realize this but we are the common people of Bombay; we know this life, it is right outside our windows. One can make several movies called ‘Railway Station’, ‘Bus Stop’ or even ‘Under the Flyover Bridge’ and show the same abject lives with so much as a video camera installed in a nook somewhere.

But when the common man takes his family to watch the very realistically depicted life of beggars, hawkers and prostitutes at a traffic signal, what does he do? When he realizes that the child he had been dutifully giving alms to, during his daily commute in spite of his humble salary, is just part of a flourishing industry that abuses people’s goodwill and sympathy, what should he think? Now I am not trying to suggest that moviemakers should bear the responsibility of social reform however I do sincerely believe that they should focus on an original plot and a novel storyline rather than capturing what a documentary film probably could, more effectively and without the parallel romantic angle. I think moviemakers in the Indian film industry have wrongly associated art cinema or directorial genius with gory depictions of everyday life. Harsh reality can bring a good story to life but a lack of a storyline fails to make a point no matter how convincing the backdrop is. The impact of candor, I think is evident only in its ability to bring about change. How will we ever have change by showing the public what they can already see?

Traffic Signal took me back to what my grandmother once said very simply after having watched an excessively long movie that ended quite abruptly, “If it is a movie it should have a story and if it is a story it should have some moral, shouldn’t it?”

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Just a glimpses for u how big the begging industry in India is getting

the days are long gone back when begging was for survival. Today it is a profession like any other.In Mumbai alone the industry worth is 180 Cr. per year [this is just a government figure, its sure more than that]

I believe its just matter of supply and demand - a simple law of microeconomics.

I still dont understand why people doing good in their life feel so apologetic about their lifestyle. That they suddenly start feeling sorry for each and every hand that stretches out to them for some coins. We need to give a thought whether by giving that Re1 coin to beggar at the signal, r we trying to buy our peace of mind or feel proud about ourself for uplifting someones life with our contribution.

We our hands reach our pockets each time we see a stretched hand.... the industry is gonna grow.



http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1797524.cms?headline=Mumbai's~beggars~earn~Rs~180~cr~a~year

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1044871

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5231022.stm

http://www.kamat.com/kalranga/bhiksha/begging.htm

Anonymous said...

I see your point. People get into the habit of begging and they don't want to work because by resorting to begging and/or prostitution money comes on a daily basis.But, I can't help feel a tad bit sad for these people because it really takes a lot of courage to break a habit. They don't really have role models and probably don't trust anything new. They stick with what's familar and probably what everyone in the family and near vicinity has been doing for years. I'm not making excuses for them..just thinking aloud. This is probably what should have been done in the movie. Yes poverty exists..but any ideas on how to make things better?

Aditi said...

I am very glad to see that a healthy discussion has been started in response to my movie review.

Sandeep: those were some very informative links. thank you for bringing your perspective to my blog. I have always found it heartenning to see that there is a generation of people who will try to change things and not just sit back and cluck their disapproval pointlessly,

...which brings me to your question, Gopalkrishna: My experience has been that sympathy though quite addictive can be shortlived. Ultimately by feeling sorry for these people we are enabling their abyssmal need to give up their self respect and abilities just in order to make a quick and painless living at the expense of the easily guilt-tripped public. As far as suggestions go, the NGOs of Bombay have been struggling to find the means to fund projects that can aid in the education, rehabilitation and vocation of these people. Increasing awareness among the general public regarding such philanthropic endeavors would have been a better subject for a movie than what Traffic Signal highlighted.

Thank you both for your insight on the subject.

Anonymous said...

Nicely written movie review! I'm a Bombayite and I see your point. Every time we drop change into the arms of a beggar, we need to take a moment and survey the bigger picture. Sympathy and pity are just human ways of avoiding a more proactive approach.

Your writing is impressive!

-satish

Anonymous said...

The movie left me feeling sad and depressed. I left Mumbai 16 years back and live in Dubai. I still go back every year, spend a week with my mom in Mumbai. I had taken off the rose-tinted glasses a long time ago. Everytime I drive through the city, I see the filth, the poverty and the noise - I just can't stand it. I want to believe that there is hope - that the city will one day become clean and everyone will have a decent place to live- children will not have to bathe and "shit" on the streets.As far as I can recall, I have never given money to beggars. What shocks me is how language which was once considered shocking and a sign of crass, is now used by everyone and is considered "cool". Those who have recently moved in from Mumbai/Delhi are finding it difficult to stop using filthy language in their day to day conversation, because they have got used to doing so. The difference between an educated and cultured person and a uneducated person has disappeared.