Sunday, April 29, 2007

Let's Be Fair!

The current online Indian matrimonial advertisements surprise me with their adherence to the age-old "Fair & Slim" requirement. Have they seen Bipasha Basu lately, I wonder. I don't mean to suggest that people should set "Dark & Overweight" as their standards. However, I do disagree with the instant labelling of fair as beautiful in Indian society. Over time, I have seen, beaked noses, thin lips, bushy eyebrows, lacklustre smiles and even a slight squint, being dismissed in the face of fairness, quite literally.

When I was eleven years old, browsing through the daily newspaper's matrimonial classified section caused me great anxiety. I was not fair and according to the 'Brides Wanted' column, was probably going to end up an old maid. Everybody wanted a fair bride!

Around this time a supposedly magical face cream called Fair & Lovely was sweeping the classrooms at my girl's school.
Television commercials for Fair & Lovely had led me to believe that my wheatish complexion would not only damage my chances at romance but could even hinder my career. According to the advertisements, being light skinned was a professional credential as well. Alarmed, I begged my mother to let me buy a tube of Fair & Lovely. But my well-established and customary argument of "Everybody uses it" was not good enough for my mother.

She pursed her lips and looked at me from above her glasses as she graded exams.

"Find three things about yourself that matter more than the shade of your complexion and write an essay on them" she commanded firmly, like the teacher she was, even as I groaned my reluctance.

"Do it," she said, "Someday you will thank me"

The following week, I gathered evidence to convince my mother of how buying Fair & Lovely was going to ensure my future happiness.

1. The matrimonial classified section was Exhibit A.

2. A pamphlet of Fair & Lovely that showed a gradual lightening of skin color in a very demonstrative picture was Exhibit B.

3. And of course, a few pictures of Bollywood actresses, were Exhibit C.

One by one, my mother steadily demolished my case.

"The matrimonial section is not the only place to find a groom and besides, that should not be reason enough for you to try and change yourself" she stated in one breath.

Exhibit B was thrown out faster than I could say Fair & Lovely.

"Skin pigmentation cannot be reversed" she scoffed, flicking the pamphlet aside.

Then came the Bollywood actresses. Honestly, as my mother looked at each of their pictures and commented, I felt less sorry for myself and more so for them.

"That", she said pointing an incriminatory finger at one of the pretty faces, "is war-paint!"

I could almost see the actresses' lips begin to quiver and quickly returned them to my drawer.

"I am not beautiful", I bawled, finally giving way to the tears I had been holding back.

"Yes, you are!" my mother said looking genuinely surprised at my sudden outburst, "And you don't need a face cream pamphlet or a classified section for brides to tell you that."

"But I am dark!" I protested vehemently.

"Dusky" she said, raising her eyebrows enigmatically, making it sound so much better than it really was.

A few years later, in the early 90s, Karishma Kapoor made her debut and all everybody could talk about was how fair she was and of course the light eyes were just gorgeous. This was also the year, in which I inadvertently formed my first independent opinion, irrespective of what of my classmates and chummies thought. Unfortunately, Ms. Kapoor, through no real fault of hers, was at the receiving end.

"I don't really think she's very pretty", I announced to the study group gathered at my house.

They were stunned. From the corner of my eye, I could see my mother begining to look in our direction with sudden interest.

"Well, my mother says she is fair and pretty", one of the girls added, in an attempt to influence my opinion.

"I think she looks like Randhir Kapoor without a moustache", I said, a tad cruelly and not willing to back down.

The girls exchanged glances.

"But she is so fair", one of them tried, puzzled by my obvious dismissal of her skin color while assessing her beauty.

I simply shrugged. The rest of the study session continued uninterrupted by the usual banter about films, actors and actresses.

After the girls left, sulking a little, my mother and I sat in our living room, munching on samosas and watching with growing interest as a sultry Sonbai became the object of a lecherous tax collector in Mirch Masala.

"So who do you find beautiful?" my mother asked her voice heavily tinged with curiosity.

"Her", I answered, gesturing towards the screen just as Smita Patil's kohl-lined eyes appeared.

I was over to the dark side.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once you go black, you never go back !!!!

Anonymous said...

That was good Aditi .Reading your blog for the forst time. Hope to read more from you .

Shashank said...

Very well written Aditi. It is high time that we discard this obsession with fair skin and give more importance to people's 'outlook' rather than looks.

Anonymous said...

Are you single? My guess is maybe separated or divorced. No matter, I think you're hot. If you're looking for a relationship now or in the near future, please get in touch with me. Perhaps we can begin by chatting: amitdesai72@yahoo.com.

Anonymous said...

I read your stuff on desi critics. You write a lot. Being a cancer researcher, where/how do you find the time to be online so much? Does your research take a back seat? It appears that you like this stuff better or are you equally devoted to your research? I'm just amazed at how you take the time to answer almost all your comments. Being a scientist myself, I know how difficult the field is, so I am amazed that you do both.

Aditi said...

Thank you all for your comments and appreciation.

Anonymous (scientist): In answer to your question, I am an insomniac which is not neccessarily a good thing but helps me get a lot done. Also writing is something that I abolsutely love. At times I feel like if I neglect the writing itch it affects other areas of my life...including the science :) I have always been a an avid reader and writer and in between experiments cannot resist the temptation to get my thoughts out there. To be honest, a lot of my articles were pre-written and have now found a platform on Desicritics and other online magazines.

Answering comments put on my post for me is very similar to the research defense where we get to present our data and answer questions about it as scientists.

And believe it or not, I love research almost as much as I love writing, if not more. Both mediums have the creative challenge that gets me going.

Hope that answered your question :)

Best,

Aditi

Anonymous said...

Wow. More than I hoped for! I am a Physicist btw. Good Luck with everything.

Aditi said...

Glad to have answered your question. Wish you would've left me your name Mr/Ms. Physicist....I have always been a little in awe of physicists and mathematicians btw. Those fields were never quite my forte :)

Anonymous said...

Nice post, You write well. You write more on cinema than articles like this. Yes I am complaining :-)

the mad momma said...

loved the posts... glad to see them here because the wars on desicritics just seem to take away from the articles...

Anonymous said...

I read your post with great interest. I am a white woman living in the UK and have quite pale skin which is not fashionable here. The advertising here is all for products to develop a 'natural looking tan'. White skin is associated with ill health, while a 'golden skin' is pushed as the ideal of beauty. How ridiculous that we here and you there are being persuaded to change our natural skintone. I say beauty comes in all colours and in all shapes and sizes (here too there is the obsession with being thin).

Anonymous said...

wow
u hav a great writing style
and yes smita patil is a lot more beautiful and frankly
i find karishma ugly and kareena moreso ugly and war painted