Friday, May 18, 2007

My Dad, The Feminist

It is my father's birthday today (May 17th) and my first, very pungent post about feminism went up on Desicritics.

Last night after I sang a lengthy "Happy Birthday" rendition for him over the phone he very sweetly asked me why my mum received so many honorable mentions in my articles while he didn't. I told him it was because I wrote about feminism. "I'm a feminist too" he answered in all sincerity and I chuckled but it did make me reminisce about how and why my own early opinions of feminism, man-woman relationships and marriage in general, blossomed.

My dad, I suddenly realized, had a lot to do with my own expectations from men. When I tell people that I expect a man to respect my intellect, my social status and not be threatened by it, they shake their heads incredulously. The only reason, I still continue to believe that men like that exist is simply because of my father.

On a rainy afternoon, when I was in kindergarten, my father told me that every person should be able to describe themselves in one word.

"Just one?" I asked, immediately starting to think of all the wonderful things that defined me.

"What word describes you?" I suddenly asked my dad.

"Self-made" he said without missing a beat.

"You made yourself?" I asked in amazement and he smiled nodding.

As I grew older I found out what "self-made" truly meant. At my sixteenth birthday, I told him that I remembered the incident.

"You do, huh?" he asked with a frown, "Then we are going to have to find me a new word to describe me."

"Why?" I asked slightly taken aback.

"Because I might've been self-made before I met your mother, but after that she's had a lot to do with my achievements and success" he said with a smile as we sat back, watching my mother put icing on my birthday cake.

My mother completed her thesis after marriage, while my sister and I were still toddlers. My father would babysit us on days that my mother took her exams. By the time we were in school, my mother was a full professor. I remember the quiet nights in Bombay, when I would get up in the middle of the night, thirsty and walk towards the dim light in the kitchen. From behind a curtain, I could see my mother calling out numbers from marksheets as my dad deftly entered each digit onto the calculator and tallied the totals. I could see how sleepy they both were and yet how much fun they seemed to be having over this little midnight project they had teamed up on. My father could've easily left my mom to tally up her report cards and gone back to sleep so he could be rested before the morning's early shift. But he sat there making jokes to keep her awake and wiping her glasses for her as she yawned widely. For some reason, that scene has stayed with me and sums up the kind of support that a wife expects from her husband.

There were times when my father's effusive pride over my mother's achievements caused my sister and me a great deal of amusement. My mother once directed a play in the college she taught. At the end of the play, when she was called on stage and the audience applauded, my father stood up and clapped, as my sister and I ducked our heads in embarrassment. He was oblivious to our discomfort as he gave her his own singular standing ovation.

The very first time he read my poetry he told me he liked my confessional style.

"You get it from your mom, you know," he told me, "I could never write like her. Her English is amazing..." My sister and I rolled our eyes and giggled while he continued raving about my mother's literary skills heedless to our mirth.

When my mother tried a new recipe, he would have us mete out compliments so she would feel rewarded. He himself never cared much about television but if one of her favorite films was coming on, he would fight us girls relentlessly for the remote control. If she'd had a late night, he would make us breakfast and ask us to be quiet around the house. During our rebellious teen years, my sister and I would get periodic long lectures from him about how we should be appreciative towards her since she does so much for us. On numerous occasions my parents would engage in fiesty debates about political or social issues and we would watch with interest as they exchanged ideas, logic and even some occasional humor. Never did he express offense at my mother having contradicted him in front of friends or relatives. Financial decisions and queries, my dad had made very clear, were to be handled by his beloved "home minister". He raised us two girls with the very ideals and philosophies that he would've imparted, had we been boys. He taught us to have the same strength of character, ambition and determination that he himself had applied to life. All this while, he had a successful career, a business and never seemed threatened by my mother's very distinct individuality.

When friends asked me why I even expected to ever find a man who could be secure, confident, supportive and yet ambitious, I always said that it was because I grew up watching such a man.

I called him up this morning to ask him how he celebrated his birthday and before I hung up, I made my admission.

"Dad, I thought about it", I said, "You really are a feminist".

"Maybe that is the one word that describes me" he answered laughing.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its easier for me to treat daughter from a feminist point of view (as an equal to my son). Thought and actions are difficult to match when it comes to wife beacause it is tough to come out of the comfort zone.

Another bolg outside cinema. Thats Good.

Anonymous said...

well said by anonymous! Nice article Aditi.

Anonymous said...

Aditi, I have made quite a few mistakes in life and was very harsh towards my wife in the early years of our marriage. I put her and her parents through hell because of my erratic behavior and temper. But when we had a baby girl and I saw her little face, I realized what I must've put my wife's parents through when I was being selfish and demanding. Your article reminded me that being a "feminist" is not about biases, it is about being kind, respectful, supportive and considerate. As a man, I hope to be some of the things your dad was. Pls convey to him that he is a role model for us men. I hope my daughter (she will be three in July) turns out like you. Your articles on DC are inspiring. -VM

Anonymous said...

Ms.Aditi, for the longest time I have borne a grudge against feminists. I had a bad experience with my ex-wife. I was active with some organizations and have in my past done considerable damage to feminism by trying to propagate hatred towards feminists. I have always believed that feminists have political agendas but then I came across a sentence that you mentioned on your DC article Getting Bitchy Wit It. You said "What I do know is, if I as a woman took my limited experiences with some pretty crass men and judged every man by those standards it would be very simply just unfair."

And then I realized. Its true. If I use my limited experiences with women and condemn all feminists based on that it is immature of me.

Then this article helped me realize that as a father of a daughter one has to inculcate the right ideas about feminism into their daughters otherwise they will be weak and may end up influenced by wrong ideas. I promise that from now on I will try to be less prejudiced.

You are a good woman and I wish there were more like you.

Anonymous said...

Aditi - wow, there's like a whole lifetime of difference between the responses here and on DC, isn't there? Btw, if you can spare the time from all the flamers you've been tagged! Indian writers/authors you read/want to read.

Rahul said...

Hey frankly, while reading your post the noise in my head about similar instances in my head about my dad was enormous. It is fathers day today and thanks to you I realize why I am inclined to feminism and why I believe am a liberal yet a staunch hindu and why i think it is possible to be so ... thanks for that. Co-incidently its my dad's birthday today [:)] it must be some dad-birthday thing or just gods will...
Would love to hear from you...

amitscorpio said...

wow Aditi, you really seem to have an IDEAL dad!!! He is someone all the guys can look upto!! but i love my dad more ;)

Weasley Speaks said...

long time.. but the right post...very well put, each incident replayed before the eyes..my dad isn't a feminist in the true sense of the word... but as i grew up i realised why tht was the case.. and i saw my mom and realised what it is to be a woman...and then i met my wife and i wrote that post about her...men at times forget that respect stems from respect...being in the corporate world has proven this again and again...if only we had more such people around...

Anusha said...

This is such a heart-tugging piece. Really good! And the flow of words can only stem from your vivid and fond memories. It takes a lot for a man to not feel threatened by his spouse- much as they would like to not admit. And we were lucky to have fathers that embodied that very quality. Keep writing!

Anonymous said...

I loved the thoughts expressed in this blog. This family seems so real and so profound. I am working on a dissertation on RK Narayan at the moment which is how I came upon your reflections. Bravo!

Anonymous said...

hello,

I would like to get in touch with you some time to discuss poetry.

I am reviewing the Ogden Nash poem 'The lady who thinks she is thirty' for my college work.

my email is rockinrebel1@hotmail.co.uk

if you would like to get in touch, I hopefully look forward to discussing this poem with you for your views.

kind regards

Joanne