Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Adventures Of Mahasahasrapramardini Namboodiripad: A Confused Desi In Bombay

I don't like the term ABCD (American Born Confused Desi). I really don't. Most of my American Born Desi friends are a lot together at times than I am and it makes feel sheepish when they are called "confused". One of my closest friends is an American Born Desi (ABD) and has had Indian graduate students, fresh off the boat, greet her very politely and ask "Oh, are you an ABCD?".

"Well, I'm not that confused....most times," she replies through her teeth, trying to blow off the unintended insult with some humor while the student blushes at the faux-pas.

But the one area in which the "C" probably does apply, is to all things Desi. My ABD friend has some of the most interesting questions about things that are quite obvious to me. For the entertainment of desi readers I am about to list some of the most interesting, and may I say hilarious, questions that my friend, Mahasahasrapramardini Namboodiripad (**name changed upon request**) has managed to ask me thus far. Most of these questions were posed on a recent visit to India, MN's very first trip to Bombay. And we all know, Bombay's no place for a novice, now don't we?

So here goes:

1. While watching a boxer short clad Shakti Kapoor dancing in David Dhavan's Raja Babu, we had the following exchange:

MN: He looks SO much different than the rest of his brothers.
Me (quite impressed that she knew Shakti Kapoor had brothers): Umm, really?
MN: Of course! I mean Rishi Kapoor is quite good looking and he looks nothing like any of the other ones.

2. While watching a scene from a 70s movie where the heroine's blouse has been ripped and the villain switches off the light:

MN (suddenly yelling): What? What? WHAT?
Me (alarmed): What happened?
MN: I don't know what happened? He switched off the bloody lights!

3. Looking out of a building window at jam packed local trains:

MN: Are those people hanging outside because its too hot inside?

4. This particular incident amused my driver no end. We were stuck in a traffic jam and had a Shiv Sena van in front of us with Balasaheb Thackeray's life size picture on the back. In the picture, Shri Thackeray was wearing a flowing saffron kurta and tulsi beads around his neck as always. A phone number for the Shiv Sena office was printed underneath.

MN: Oh, lets try calling that number.
Me (baffled): Why would you want to do that?!
MN: I wanted to get my horoscope read on this India trip.
Me: Yeah, so?
MN: Well, isn't that a babaji? (pointing to the picture)

5. I received a letter from my friend Preetiman (a Bengali name, I believe).

MN: Does he put Man after his name because Preeti is a woman's name?

6. While handing over alms to a little beggar boy:

MN (to the little boy, much to his confusion): You won't give this to the underworld dons like in the film Traffic Signal, will you?

7. Our driver told her of all the impressive real estate values and how people spent obscene amounts of money in malls etc. After listening to him speak for at least fifteen minutes or so:

MN: What is lakhs? Is that like a piece of gold or something?

8. Having heard about Goregaon and the Aarey milk colony she reached Bombay with quite a list of things she wanted to see. My dad, ever the eager tourist guide, asked what all she wanted to see.

MN: Would it cost too much to see buffaloes being given a bath? I want to take pictures.

9. To the paani-puri wallah who handed her her first puri with the spiced water:

MN: Ek hi milta hai ke aur ek milega? (Do I get just one or can I get one more?)
Paani-puri wallah: Madam, aap bologe to pura theila de doon? (Madam, if you'd like I could give you the whole sack of puris.)

10. On her must-see list was the Gateway Of India and when we reached the place, she got out of the car and turned to me, her brows knitted:

Me (a bit irritated): What? You don't like the Gateway of India? They can't revamp it you know.
MN: Are you sure this is it?
Me: Umm, yeah (starting to get mad). Why?
MN: Where is that flame?
Me: What flame?
MN: The flame of the eternal warrior...Amar Jawan Jyoti?

10. After we got off a crowded train in Bombay:

MN (trying to sound casual): Is it normal for people to pinch your bottom here?
[I stopped dead in my tracks and threw her an exasperated look.]
MN: I mean, should one protest if somebody pinches your bottom...I wasn't sure what the system was.

11. Our driver was very happy to show a foreigner around town. He happily pointed out the majestic Haaji Ali in the middle of the ocean:

MN: Do they give prashaad there? I'm hungry.

12. On our return flight to the US, we had a man clad in a Madrasi lungi folded twice upto his upper thighs. MN stared at him long and hard and then turned to me.

MN: Can I have the camera?

13. There was a major water deficit in Bombay during the month of our visit and when MN turned the tap on and nothing happened, she bit her lip and started walking towards the second bathroom:

MN (gesturing us to follow): Come on, maybe there is water in the other tap.

14: To a harassed looking paav bhaaji stall owner at Juhu chowpatty

MN: Do you accept credit cards?

15. Having waited in the rain for a while, MN finally got into a taxi.

MN: Siddhivinayak Temple
Taxi driver: Nahi janeka hai (I don't wanna go there).
MN (not accustomed to having public transport providers refuse passengers): Lekin mujhe jaana hain! (But I wanna go there!).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Aditi - completely off topic but you've been tagged!

Anonymous said...

Nice post!!....I was directed to your blog page from Indiequill's writers tag on that Bill and Bonnie story!!..waiting for the 4th part of that story!!!....

anish said...

this is sheer madness hahaha